Winter time doesn’t need to mean boring. Winter in New Zealand is beautiful because of the gorgeous landscapes and scenery making it the perfect time to rent a motorhome to travel all over the country.
One of the best places to visit in New Zealand during the winter is Queenstown. Queenstown is an incredible destination during any time of the year, with plenty of wine to drink, beautiful places to hike in, and fabulous people to meet.
One thing that must do when visiting Queenstown during the winter is to attend the Queenstown Winter Festival, and here is why:
- It’s a lot of fun! A lot. With so much going on at the festival, you will never have to have a dull moment.
- You’ll get to make new friends. With so many people attending and in a happy atmosphere, you will want to talk to and reach out to people there.
- You will be able to get a glimpse of the culture and traditions of New Zealand.
- You will get to eat plenty of great food and taste delectable glasses of wine.
What to Do in the Queenstown Winter Festival
While every year may bring with it different events and things to do at the Queenstown Winter Festival, the ideas remain the same. Following are some examples of the events and things to do during this year’s Queenstown Winter Festival:
- Live music-Throughout the Queenstown Winter Festival, you will have plenty of opportunity to be able to see bands play. There are always great performances at this popular winter festival, so if you are a music lover, you are bound to enjoy the experience.
- Quiz Nights-Quiz nights are a great way to have a little bit of fun with strangers during the winter festival, and best of all, they are free. Just make sure to book ahead, so that you get to enjoy a spot on one of the fun and free quiz nights during the Queenstown Winter Festival.
- Races-From a drag race to a hospitality race, original is the name of the game in these fun and exciting races. Whether you participate in the races or simply observe, this is something that you have to see at least once during the Queenstown Winter Festival.
- Mountain fun-From crazy suitcase races to other wacky mountain competitions, Mountain Mayhem ensures that festival goers get to enjoy the new snow in the most exciting ways.
- Dog derby-Your pet shouldn’t have to miss out on the fun and they don’t have to, because at the Queenstown Winter Festival, there is a dog derby where you can merrily slide down the mountains hoping to win. Whether you want to participate or simply watch, you must take some time for the dog derby.
- Frisbee golf-One of the highlights of the Queenstown Winter Festival is that there plenty of opportunities for you to let out your competitive spirit. If you are a die-hard frisbee golf player, this is your chance.
- Comedy nights-If you are looking for something fun to do after a full day of excitement participating in or watching sports and adventure, you may want to check out comedy nights. While you have most likely been smiling all day long, why not end your fabulous day with a good hearty laugh at one of the venues that hosts comedy nights during the Queenstown Winter Festival?
- Workshops and seminars-If you are new to Queenstown and more specifically, new to winter sports, why not learn something new by taking a workshop or seminar on helpful topics? While it may not seem like an exciting use of your time, the things you learn can help you to enjoy amazing adventures.
- Cycling competitions-New Zealand is full of cyclists who enjoy riding anywhere and everywhere, which is what makes the Queenstown Winter Festival a great place to pull out your competitive fire and passion for cycling and participate in one of the many events geared around cycling. You are sure to enjoy it and if you have the skill, you may actually win it.
These are just a few of the fun and exciting things to do or see while in Queenstown at the beginning of the winter, but there are many more events that take place during the festival which are sure to catch your attention.
The Queenstown Winter Festival started out as a way to enjoy yet another celebration and why not do something for fun at the start of every winter by turning a “gloomy” time into a fun and adventurous experience.
Whether you are passing through or plan on spending a good amount of time in Queenstown during the winter months, you must set aside a few days to enjoy this winter festival that makes winter something to look forward to every year.