Half the world may be freezing and safely locked indoors until further notice, but in Australia it’s our favourite time of year. Summertime has rolled around once again! The beaches are packed, the sun is scorching, and the kids are on holidays for the next 6 weeks.
What could be better than road tripping in this gorgeous country in a campervan when the sun is shining, and the weather is warm? Not much.
From observing wildlife in its natural habitat to practicing fun summertime sports, there is something for everyone in one of the world’s happiest countries. Australians are always friendly people, but in even more so when the weather brings them out to play. Summer is a great time to enjoy getting to know the Australian culture.
The Best of Australia in the Summer
To help you get the most out of an Aussie summer, the following things to do and places to see may be exactly what you’re looking for.
- Catch the big waves. A visit to Australia as a surfer without catching any waves is like a wine connoisseur visiting a winery without trying any wine. Absolutely ridiculous! Whether you are an avid surfer or want to learn, there is no better time or place for it than summer in Australia. Some popular destinations for catching the big breaks are Glenelg Beach, Byron Bay, Lime Rock, South Cape, and Perth—just to name a few.
- Go on walks in the bush. If you like adventure and nature, you may want to consider hiking or walking in the great outback. There are several national parks to visit for this kind of experience, as well as beachside trails and bush paths. Some of the places where you might have a fantastic outdoor experience are the Fraser Island Great Walk, the Larapinta Trail, Wilderness Coast Walk, and the Overland Track in the Tasmanian highlands. These ones take a few days to do, but you can also find shorter one-day walks to do if you aren’t up to spending too much time outside in the summer. Some also require permits, so always research and plan ahead.
- Swim with and observe marine life. For those who love the underwater world, there is plenty of opportunity for you to enjoy its wonders in Australia. From diving in a cage to get up close with Great Whites to swimming with dolphins or going whale-watching, Australia’s coast is full of underwater magic. Summer is a great time to book an ocean tour as the waters are full of beautiful creatures during this season.
- Go on a road trip in the bush. A summer road trip in the bush can be a fun experience, but you do want to go prepared. Summer is a hot time in Australia, so as long as you make sure to pack the right clothing, food, and water in your campervan hire, you should be just fine. A road trip to the Red Centre is always a favorite.
- Visit the best beaches. If you would rather not get your fill of heat while road tripping in the bush, find some beautiful beaches to cool off at instead. From Pinky Beach to Coral Bay, Greenfield Beach, and Pebbly Beach, there is no shortage of gorgeous beach destinations for you to relax at with friends or family. It’s a great way to beat the heat while enjoying some of Australia’s most gorgeous locations.
- Visit the best art galleries in the country. Of course, Australia is also full of some amazing art galleries with art from both local and international artists. If you’re a culture buff, you can be sure that there will be opportunity to admire pieces while on your trip to Australia. Some of the favorite galleries are Mona, NGV, Centre for Contemporary Photography and QAGOMA.
- Taste wine at the best wineries. What could be better than enjoying a refreshing glass of wine on a warm summer’s day? Australian wine is definitely worth taking your time to get to know and you’ll be sure to find some favorites as you explore places like Barossa Valley, Coonawarra, Hunter Valley, Riverina, and Yarra Valley.
- Enjoy summer festivals. While you’re in Australia, you don’t want to miss out on enjoying music festivals. It’s bound to be an experience that you won’t soon forget as you enjoy great music and warm weather. There are many summer festivals that take place in Australia, but some of the top ones are Falls Festival in Byron Bay, Origin NYE and Southbound in Perth, and Field Day in Sydney.
From RnB to blues, you’ll be able to festivals where you can hear your favorite music all day long.
Summer is an exciting time to be in Australia. It’s when the world comes alive and people are enjoying the great outdoors. It’s a time when you can explore nature or visit the big cities for cultural fun. As you road trip throughout the country in your campervan hire, don’t miss out on these exciting things to do and see while in the “Down Under.” Happy traveling!